Chris asked me what sorts of clothes you should bring in an email. As always, you can ask my mom or sister Jayme, as both of them were here last year in March.
Unfortunately, no matter what you wear, you will most certainly be singled out as tourists, so what you wear or don’t wear really doesn’t matter for that!
I would recommend reasonably conservative dress in public just to avoid any issues. This means no shorts or short skirts. They say that legs or more erotic than breasts ladies, so you will want to keep those covered – at least the knees. Last year, I told my mom and sister to cover the shoulders as well, but I don’t think this is so bad. Thus, seeing that there are no shorts, bring lightweight pants!
For the wedding, you should bring something nice to wear for Friday. It will be the warm season though, and you are travelling a long distance, I wouldn’t expect you to be too formal. The men in Jeanne’s family will likely be wearing suits. The women, nice dresses. On Saturday, it will be traditional. We are going to see what we can do to make sure that everyone coming can be part of the traditional crowd – I may be asking for measurements soon.
For around the house, no need to worry – you can wear what you like. This includes around the house in Thies, as no one will care what you wear there! And bring a swimsuit for the beach – you can wear whatever you like in the beach. I doubt anyone would look at the ladies too strangely if they were topless laying on the beach!
One thing to note is that Senegalese people (especially the women) always seem to be dressed to go out on the town, even if they are just walking to the market. It’s really quite incredible. So, you may want to bring some nice outfits with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment