Saturday, August 16, 2008

Insulting your cousin and other stories from Senegal

A cute story I wanted to share...

http://www.worldhum.com/dispatches/item/my_senegalese_cousin_the_rice_loving_pig_20080701/

Chris

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Nice piece - thanks for sharing! I haven't taken up on the insults as much in Senegal - my Wolof isn't that good. I dabbled in it a bit more when I was in Guinea. But I listen to Jeanne (who is Sereer) insult her "cousins." A week or two ago, the taxi driver called Jeanne his slave, and she said to him "when was the last time you saw a slave being driven around by his master." Haha, good one!

It's good that you are reading up on some of the culture - it should make your visit that much more enjoyable! It's impossible to think to write on all of these things that make West Africa and Senegal what they are - glad you found a good story! Wish I had some equally interesting stories. You should be able to find many stories on the internet with some simple Google searches! Like this one maybe: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/suzyinbenin/beninpc/1109866980/tpod.html

Aaron said...

I haven't met our photographer yet - just learning a bit about her on-line. Here is an article from her. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ricci-shryock/the-rhythm-got-me-a-dakar_b_95474.html