Monday, August 25, 2008

Security, Entry requirements, and Identification

Security is a very important point. Serious security issues and violent crimes are unlikely, though not unheard of, in Senegal. You will be with us most of the time, and there shouldn't be any problems. However, if you find yourself on your own, or want to venture off by yourself, there are some important things to be aware of. Even if you are in a group, you could become a victim of petty theft. This could be stealing jewelry (ripping chains off your neck or cutting a watch off your wrist) or pickpocketing you (last weekend, I was with Jeanne and Fatim and someone tried to pickpocket me - but they got nothing because I was prepared knowing that I was in an area susceptible to such crime).

The State Department has put together the following which is generic for most countries and it looks pretty applicable to Senegal. Have a look at it.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

Some important things to take note:
  • don't contradict what I have already communicated to you, i.e. don't bring travelers checks
  • do be careful about where you take photos
  • do take note on what to take and what to leave behind
  • do take note on Safety in the Streets
  • do take the time to register on-line. If you lose your passport or anything, I think this could be useful
For Senegal specifically, the State Department posts the following:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1013.html

I would suggest that you print out the first page of this document and carry it to the airport. Though the airline should know it already, I was talking with some people and Delta is not always aware of this point: You DO NOT NEED A VISA IN SENEGAL for a visit less than 3 months.

Also worth noting in the Senegal specific concerns is that you should carry identification with you at all times. This means a copy of your passport. Please make a copy and put a copy of your passport in your wallet before coming here. Jeanne's father is a former Chief of Police and has gotten a friend of mine of trouble once for this matter, but it is better that we just have the correct papers if ever asked.

6 comments:

Sirous said...

these informations are great I hope everyone open each link ,read it and take notes or as i did print them and bring them with you.I am going to shop luggage tags ,money pouch (no money in it )and copies of passport etc.Just please read them.They help a lot.One more week DAKAR or bust !!!!

Lyn said...

http://www.rei.com/product/685811

This pacsafe pouch is what I've been using for my Europe travels. I love it and it fits under my shirt.

Aaron said...

Indeed, I have something like this and it works great. Mine is an Eagle Creek brand.

Also, I don't know if I already mentioned it, but I would recommend the TSA locks for your baggage. Things can and do get stolen in these airports. Also, to recognize your bags easily, it's amazing what a pink string or whatever can do to make bag recognition easy in a sea of black suitcases!

Lyn said...

Aaron - if we register... what address should we use as our local address - I guess that would be your address?

Aaron said...

Address is:
1109 SICAP Liberté 1
4e droite
Dakar, Senegal

Aaron said...

Hi all - one day until your departure! I called all of you yesterday to talk about your arrival and what to expect when you get to the airport. You shouldn't have any problems.

If you haven't registered online with the State Dept as suggested in this blog message, it is a good precaution, and I would suggest that you do it if you have time.

When you arrive, be sure to have a pen, your passport and vaccination card, and my address: 1109 Liberté 1, Dakar. These things will facilitate your entry into the country.

Finally, look out for my mom. I shared dad's number with mom and Aunt Chris so that you can be in contact tomorrow. This is particularly important for my mom, as she has a very short layover in Atlanta and it would be useful if she has gate information before she leaves Akron, or as soon as she arrives in Atlanta.

That's it! Let me know if you have any last minute questions! Lyn is due in tomorrow morning at 5 AM our time. See you soon!