Friday, August 22, 2008

Food and Water

So, one of my concerns is about food and water as I am a nervous traveler to begin with and I don't try new foods much.

Will we have ready access to bottled water? (I generally don't even drink tap water in Europe when I am on trips) I think I am just more susceptible to issues than the average.

I am bringing some food, but I am curious what local fare is like and what kind of options we'll have.

After you celebrate Jeanne's Birthday, maybe you can enlighten us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyn,
I am Aaron's sis. Maybe I can help you a little with this one. Yes, you will always be able to get bottled water, that is no problem at all.
Now with the food, I am the same way. I am very picky and was very concerned about the food. I ended up taking some food with me like ramon noodles and things like that. It ended up just wasting space in my bags since I never ate them. The food is actually pretty good. I ate chicken and rice pretty much everywhere I went and it was good. I would suggest taking some breakfast bars and snack bars. Other than that, I wouldn't be too worried. I hope that helps you some.
Jayme

Aaron said...

I hope Jayme answered your question adequately. Bottled water, absolutely not an issue. Food, I live very close to a French owned supermarket, you won't have any problems. You will have time to go shopping as soon as you get here. As for local dishes, the national dish is something called thieb dien. Something that is very good that you will probably like, which is the chicken and rice Jaymer refers to, is called yassa poulet - or yassa chicken. Do some Google search, and you should be able to find out more about local cuisine in Senegal. The local cuisine here is the best in west africa, I think, and westerners tend to like it.