Sunday, August 3, 2008

Baggage and Presents!

Just a note from my airport experience regarding presents...do NOT gift wrap anything before packing. In the event that your bag is opened during the screening process, gifts may be unwrapped when you next see them. I suggest taking along the giftwrap paper and wrapping presents on arrival. Also, picture frames almost always alarm and will require your bag to be opened.

13 comments:

Aaron said...

When you say picture frames, do you mean picture frames in the carry-on bag, or the check-in bag?

Aaron said...

Another note on bags. From my experience, your bags may not make it at the same time you do. In January, my bags arrived late to the US flying with Air France. In February, my bags arrived late into Dakar flying with Delta. Both times I got my bags - late. And, in Dakar, they don't drop them off at your doorstep like in the States. Here, you have to go to the airport and pick them up!

So, that being said, I would recommend that you carry-on what you plan to wear for the wedding plus a couple of outfits. When I went to Europe in 2002, I managed for 10 weeks with nothing but a carry-on bag, so I think you it should be OK. I just wouldn't want you to show up here and not have anything to wear, so it is better to be on the safe side!

Sirous said...

My dear Son.
Got this question !! Do I need to bring 2 suits and Jay 2 dressy dresses for the Wedding in Dakar and Thies. Also should note that if you are taking any medications put them in the carry on and label them .Any other comments from our friends greatly appreciated.

Chris said...

Hi Sirous ~ thanks for the Rx reminder for carry-on! Looking forward to seeing you again. RE: metal picture frames in carry on OR checked bags...x-ray can't see thru them & will usually trigger an alarm. Therefore, if they are gift-wrapped, they will unwrap them to look them over & test them. If I bring one, it will be in my carry-on bag, unwrapped.

Aaron said...

Dad, please don't bring two suits, and Jay, please don't bring two dresses. Dressup day on Friday will be enough, and you will probably want to bring the dressup clothes in the carry-on bag. Saturday is the traditional wedding, and Jeanne has seen to it that everyone will have something to wear that is traditional. If you have any clothes (mom / dad) that you got from here, you can feel free to bring those too.

Chris said...

Thanks for asking about the 2 suits/dresses. Good info to have!

Aaron, you know me!! Do we need walking shoes ~ lots of walking involved on this trip???? Do you recommend hats/umbrellas for the sun? Can we go to one of the nature preserves?

Aaron said...

I am not sure, but I heard rumor that there was some confusion around dress for the wedding still. So, one more time. Bring formal clothes for Friday. For Saturday, you do not need to be concerned - I say it again - "Jeanne has already SEEN TO IT that everyone will have something to wear that is traditional" - this means that she has had clothes tailor made for each one of you and they are here and waiting for you. I think we've done an OK job approximating the needed sizes - if not, we can get to a tailor on Thurs or Fri maybe to have it fitted for Sat - but, really, I think it will be OK.

Another note - not sure if I indicated the pronunciation of Jeanne's name (note, a is like papa). So, it is Jeanne (zhan - like Jean Claude Van Damme, or something like this) Francoise (Fran - swaz) Guignane (guee - nyan) Faye (like Fi Faye Fo Fum).

Aaron said...

And pronunciation of Thies: Tee - ezz, or really fast sounds like Chezz.

Aaron said...

Hats. Well, it's sunny here. So, you may want a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and whatever else that you use to protect yourself against the sun.

Umbrellas. Well, it's also the rainy season. It could rain, and it can surprise you. If you have umbrellas that you want to bring, go for it.

Another idea - maybe bring a portable radio. You might enjoy listening to some of the local stations.

Lyn said...

Aaron - what did you decide about mosquito nets? Can we get them there if we need them? Do we need them?

Should we bring towels? Blanket for the beach? Do you think we'll stay "on the beach" when we go to the beach?

Do you think we need a jacket of any type (like a rain coat?)

Do you have electricity converters? I'm considering buying another camera battery so I don't have to bring anything electrical. I think I can make my hair presentable for photos without a curling iron. :-) But, I am curious as to what's available for outlets.

Can you tell I'm packing? :-)

Chris said...

Good questions, Lyn. Curious about electrical also. Toothbrushes, razors, etc.

Aaron said...

Mosquito nets: We should have them and it should be available. If you have a compact mosquito net, or just feel more secure with one, you can bring it because I can't promise anything as I don't know the situation of the hotel or where we will be staying at the beach.

Towels: If you want to bring a towel, great. We have some if you don't.

Beach: I am not a sit-on-the-beach person. If you want to sit out, lay out, or whatever people do on the sand all day, feel free. I like to walk up and down the beach and sit on the deck and drink a cold Coke.

You won't need a jacket - did you see the weather forecast??? A small umbrella, if you like.

At the house, we have the ability to plug in 110 appliances up to 500 mA. Most electronics accept 220V - it's rare that they don't! Read the input on your electronic devices to see if they do. Your curling iron though, I don't think so. Check the mA rating.

Toothbrush, razors? I would suggest the traditional kind (non-electric) for one week's time. Lighter packing, less mess.

Lyn said...

I'm not bringing a curling iron or hari dryer. I don't use them here, so I am not going to use them there.

I was curious about a rain jacket, but I'll bring just a small umbrella.

For electric, I'd only have a camera battery charger, but I think I am just going to pick up an extra battery and charge them here so I don't have to worry about it at all.